What are some of the current reasons to grow your own vegetables? We have seen a change towards homogenization and mechanization of farming, where the use pesticides, herbicides, synthetic fertilizers, additives and mass-production techniques. It is easy to see it affecting people’s health, and with that new diseases are spreading rapidly in both humans and animals (for example the bird’s flu).
There are reports that the World Health Organization produces reports that show how chemicals and other products on food, along with the manufacturing processes are actually very harmful to our health.
Here are seven reasons why:
1. No synthetic fertilizers or pesticides used. It’s known that these products are applied to obtain crops all the time regardless of weather conditions or anything else that would normally have an affect the quality of the vegetables. And these pesticides are usually toxic to us.
3. Vegetables won’t be genetically modified (GM). Hormones, drugs and antibiotics are used on vegetables to grow larger ones and more. This practice leads to vegetables that look the same but can be tasteless. We end up ingesting the hormones that have been used on the vegetables, and this could lead to health risks.
4. Your own vegetables will be tastier. When antibiotics, hormones, synthetic fertilizers and pesticides make vegetables grow unnaturally it take the taste away the vegetables. When cooking with organic vegetables, your flavors will be enhanced.
5. Your own organic vegetables will be healthier for you. They won’t contain any of the chemicals named above and will be more natural than any ones you would find at the grocery store. You won’t be putting your health at risk because you will know that nothing has been added.
6. Since you will not be using any harmful products or pesticides on your vegetables, this will also lead you to not damaging the soil or the air with the chemical elements.
7. Growing your own vegetables that you know are truly organic, will contribute to your own self-sustainability. This will also help your finances since the price in the grocery stores are on the rise. There are communities where members exchange products that they grow, therefore contributing and creating a friendly and better place for us all.
Eating organic products means that we do not add anything un-natural to them. They only get what than they would gotten from nature. As you can see, hormones, pesticides, fertilizers or additives are not components of naturally grown food. To have a healthier lifestyle and health, grow your own organic vegetables. It only takes a couple of pots to get started.